PWMS was created to ease the workflow management of the software development process at Prithvitech, allowing us to focus on our software development rather than the nitty gritties of auditing, tracking tasks and bugs, and countless other problems in the software development life cycle.
PWMS can also easily be extended to help manage the workflow of any manufacturing company. The software helps in making the manufacturing/development process lean and efficient. It minimizes use of paper, keeps an audit trail, enables message passing and comments between members involved in the process, and provides a clean and easy to use interface. We will be coming out with a web interface too soon.
Project and Workflow Management System (PWMS) acts as a central system in the software development process at Prithvitech. It record comments, instructions, descriptions and tips issued by the various links in the software development hierarchy - Analyst, Project Manager, Team Leader, Programmer, Tester. This helps by...
- smoother execution of software development undertaken by Prithvitech
- maintaining a detailed record of work executed
- better accountability
- improving collaboration among team members
- bringing under one centralized management isolated activities like analysis, design, coding, testing, bug fixing etc.
- A stronger quality assurance on our deliverings.
Problems addressed by this software
- PROBLEM: Although the modules are tested, certain small bugs invariably remain undetected. Testing is not uniform over the project modules. Certain portions are overly tested. Certain portions remain untested.
SOLUTION: PWMS enforces testing of each and every task and module and thus removes such problems.
- PROBLEM: The programmers often forget an odd task or two among those detailed to them by the Project Manager/Team Leader, even though the tasks are written down on paper.
SOLUTION: PWMS presents programmers with a color-coded view of each task, which clearly indicates which tasks need to be done.
- PROBLEM: The clients complain about excess time spent on the project, and are unable to see the intricacies of the development process, when the bill is presented to them.
SOLUTION: PWMS generates reports of time spent on each task/module and the details help explain in why certain portions of the project take more time than expected, and why some take lesser than expected.
Softwares exist to automate various parts of the SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle). However, PWMS aims to manage the software development process by keeping a detailed track of tasks for each programmer, provide for iterative development and documentation as testers detect bugs, Team Leaders and Project Managers provide comments on better algorithms etc.
Successful operation demands that using the system be painless, and that special training should not be needed to run the application. Towards this goal, we have attempted to make the user interface very friendly, easy to use and free of useless clutter and screens. No separate data entry operators are needed.
Technologies used : Java - swing, mysql database server
Demo available on request; please tell us what kind of workflow you wish to manage, and how.